Saturday 17 January 2015

Here's what happened

a little late in posting because I had to be at home at a time when there was natural light to get the colours right. Here's the piece I showed you in full before I popped it into the dye bucket. It's roughly a yard wide.


It reminds me a little of sunset clouds over the sea - OK that takes a bit of imagination, but if you stand back, squint a bit, and think of mackerel skies, it kind of works. I'm very happy with the way the patterns of the shibori stitching flow with the orange streaks, they zig zag across the cloth without being too insistent. Some of the colours really zing out and when you look at it close up, as with all shibori, you get lovely shapes and accidental images. All part of the technique, not my cleverness I must add.

And the piece I wrapped around the pole? This one is smaller, around 21 inches wide.


A sort of mandala, that spins and dances on the fabric. The plastic capping at the end didn't work, but I think that's OK as it would have left an uninteresting splodge of white in the centre. Again, the colours have gone very zingy in places, which I like, but might not be to some people's taste.

Of course the eternal question that Aunt Cecil always asks is "but what it it for Kath? What are you going to do with it?"

To which I reply, it's for learning ... rather like life I always think.

6 comments:

  1. I really love these fabrics, great colours. I'm going on a shibori day later this year, it will be fun. I agree with you that it's fine to do things just because you want to, with no end in mind

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna,
      hope you enjoy your shibori day, the results are always so unpredictable, but in a really good way. I'll look forward to a blog post about it

      Delete
  2. What exciting results. I can never seem to make the effort to experiment with dyes. Thank you for your kind and thoughtful comment on my last post Kath. Good to hear from you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gina,
      the effort is much helped for me by my days at Studio 11. Otherwise I'd not have achieved anything at all I suspect! I always try to keep up with your blog, but am an infrequent commenter and your's, of course, was my very first comment here which gave me much encouragement :-)

      Delete
  3. Superb! So much better than the pieces we tried - these are really gorgeous. I love your comment about learning - yep, with you all the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anny, glad you like them. Christine's advice when something doesn't work out to start with is "keep going, add more layers and if it still doesn't work, you can always drop it in a bucket of black"!
      Very liberating :-)

      Delete

Thank you for your comments, it's always a pleasure to know people have found my little corner of the webiverse. Don't forget to "prove you're not a robot"; so I can see your comment :-)