Tuesday 16 June 2015

Bridget Riley

On Friday we had the pleasure of attending the opening of the Bridget Riley Curves exhibition at the De La Warr Pavilion; doesn't that sound delightful?


It was indeed fun, interesting to move from the serene cool view from the balcony above, 


down to, and through, the bruising cacophony of the in crowd seeing and being seen, glasses of wine delicately tilted as ears reached avidly for the latest witticism, then .....


...... into the cool curves of Riley's early works. They dazzle and delight with the singing nature of colour, even those that are simply composed of warm and cool greys. Some I found quite entrancing, others, the more recent works, I was less sure about


but with so many wandering round, it was hard to feel her works the way I believe they were intended to be felt, moving in and out of the shimmer of colour playing with more colour. I shall go back at a later date, in the quiet, with the cool light of the sea behind me, and see how they feel then



this fine jacket belonged to a gentleman who was most taken with my tattoo, cradling the top of my arm gently to present it to his lady friend ..... "did it hurt?" he enquired, "yes" .....  "how long will it last?" .... "as long as my skin I hope"


It was a gently teasing exchange, which pleased the three of us I think

2 comments:

  1. Hello Kathy,
    Thank you for those lovely words you wrote ,they truly made my day. Have you posted the pictures of the embroidery you did for the guild? I would love to see them.

    Warm Regards,
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deepa, will post pictures as soon as I've finished, a spur to get me stitching again as I'm only a quarter of the way through at the moment!! I'm so glad my comments gave you pleasure; that's part of what this old web is all about I hope, communicating a bit of happiness!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments, it's always a pleasure to know people have found my little corner of the webiverse. Don't forget to "prove you're not a robot"; so I can see your comment :-)