Friday 2 September 2011

slow trees

This time of year is perhaps my favourite. The robin starts to sound plaintive, the garden is beginning to slow down, sap seeping back to sleepy winter mode, though only in the most delicate way just now; there is still plenty of energy in the sun, and today was still and muggy. I took the time to spend a while amongst my trees. They sit in a cluster in my back yard, where I can see them from the kitchen when I look from the window. Nestled under this wonderful rusty roof, which covers what used to be a coffin maker's workshop, they are sheltered and warm, with the sun on them for plenty of the day.


At this time of year it's all about tidying up the pots, pulling out weeds, clearing dead leaves and stems, cutting out any wood that hasn't survived the year. They have done better this year as my good man waters with much more regularity than I. This year too, I have had more time to give them,. Clearing the pot surfaces always brings one close to the trunks, and to the wonderful patterning of the leaves that begins to herald autumn's colours, so I photographed some to share with you,






along with a few other things that caught my eye today.

 this clematis was just a single weedy stem with one shoot clambering for the light. I took courage and cut it right back to about 12 inches of bare stem, and it has rewarded me more than I could have hoped
whilst this alignment of rooves and shadows always catches my eye - my daughter will be painting the big shed this weekend I hope

happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments, it's always a pleasure to know people have found my little corner of the webiverse. Don't forget to "prove you're not a robot"; so I can see your comment :-)