Monday 27 April 2020

beauty and silence

The weather is almost heartbreakingly beautiful at the moment, as though we are being rewarded, or perhaps gentled along through this great pause that has been forced upon us. Yet that awareness is always balanced by the knowledge that there is heartbreak across the globe as more folk die of this contagion.

Here in the garden and in my trips to the shops for necessities I am aware all the time of the background silence. It extends the physical space that surrounds me, by giving access to distant sounds, normally drowned by the constant buzz of traffic and other human generated noise; crows in the trees across the valley, "thank you NHS clapping" in the streets surrounding us on a Thursday evening. We are five minutes away from one of the main routes along the south coast, in fact the only route West from Dover unless you choose to go up to the M25, so not some delightful rural backwater. Our home is in the outskirts of a conurbation that basically stretches across 3 small towns at the edge of the sea. Even more so, I am struck by this silence.

I noticed today that I was being tickled by the sense of some echo of this silence within myself, a deep feeling of rightness about it. Then I realised, this is what the world sounded and felt like in my childhood; there was so much less traffic that you could actually hear; rather than living in a state of constant unconscious filtering, you could truly feel the space you were surrounded by.

Even more beautiful just now is the expanse of the night, as the young moon nestled in darkness watches Venus throwing her clear light down to us.

6 comments:

  1. Yes Kat, silence all around us too, like on an early Sunday morning ...
    (a lot of Sunday mornings lately)

    Ahhhhhh your ACER palmatum(s) !!!!! Gave mine another spot .... so the fence will disappear in the end :-) And I think (hope) he's coping in its new surroundings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Els, I love my acer too. It was a gift from my Mum and lived in a large pot for many many years, until we arrived here and I knew that here was where I wanted to stay. It has forgiven me the indignity, I'm sure yours will be just as forgiving

      Delete
  2. What a lovely garden. I feel the peacefulness of it. And, that same young moon "nestled" in our darkness last evening, and the same Venus threw "her clean light down on us."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary, those of us with gardens are very privileged in these confined times aren't we? I hope you are still enjoying your daily walks with your dog?

      Delete
  3. Yes, the quiet is startling. Even though we live near an ambulance route.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it creeps up on one doesn't it, and suddenly you realise that there is just birdsong and space to breathe. It almost feels wrong to take such pleasure in it

      Delete

Thank you for your comments, it's always a pleasure to know people have found my little corner of the webiverse. Don't forget to "prove you're not a robot"; so I can see your comment :-)