Thursday 27 August 2020

Contemplating layers

Which is a theme appropriate to working with transparents, which can evoke ...

Layers of landscape - the view from my bedroom in coloured organza cut with a soldering iron and fused to a base layer of calico. Two layers of machine stitching done, just the foreground to work out now. It is intimidating me!



Layers of history in the landscape,


Layers of habitation, evoked by fragile remains; wondering which of  the recent experiments might be useful ...


Layers of stitch to add colour and texture, perhaps that of excavated soil


And maybe reveal those layers of habitation


A bit of a test run, to see how the transparents I have been working with might evoke the levels that are concealed, revealed, during an archaeological dig. Still thinking how to do this. I may need to cut the voile into less regular shapes to create a sense of the unfolding of layer upon layer.

My stitching and thinking today accompanied by Low

And the Oni Wytars Ensemble being Byzantine. There’s variety for you


2 comments:

  1. You might like Joglaresa, as well. And Belinda Sykes, who founded Joglaresa, did an Early Music Show on Radio Three about Muslim, Jewish, and Christian music and musicians in Al-Andalus. Absolutely fascinating...

    I like your layers and textures - all very promising, I feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel, thank you for that recommendation, they look like great fun and will be listened to with some delight I suspect. There are all sorts of other interesting names on their website as well. I've long been interested in the way the Islamic and Judaic influences can be heard in much early music, along with folk themes, though I can't for the life of me remember where I first came across the genre, certainly not via my exclusively classical Mum. Will look out the early music show on Radio 3 as well, I can see lots of fascinating content including a programme on Fado, which is another interesting Genre. Sadly the Belinda Cox programme is "not currently available".
      Glad you like the layers, very much an experiment - Christine recommends doing samples "which often turn out better than you hope" so this is my sample, and fun to play about with.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments, it's always a pleasure to know people have found my little corner of the webiverse. Don't forget to "prove you're not a robot"; so I can see your comment :-)