Tuesday 22 June 2021

An Open Garden

This coming Saturday we are opening our garden in aid of a local hospice which is dear to my heart. It is the first time we have done so, and I keep looking round hoping to manage another area of weeding before the day. Because of physical frailties I tend to pace myself in the garden, so can never achieve as much as I would like. An hour's session will exhaust me but I work slowly and thoroughly and hope to make a difference. My dear heart has similar problems due to age and old sporting injuries, so we do as much as we can and accept that this is not a show place. But is is our space, and we love it, and find it a very restorative and restful environment. We share it with a variety of folk as you know, wild and tame.

The vixen, who is keeping a close eye on us, 

while her babies are a little bemused to find these human folk down in their Dell


The cat chaps, on the other hand, are happy just chilling


Down in the Dell the rambling rose, which clambers all the way up a tall ash tree, is opening it's trusses of white flowers, filling the evening air with their scent. 


The greenhouse holds all sorts of growing things, and the bean rows catch the evening sunlight


Poppies and blue geranium make a lovely contrast


The bed by the new shed is looking just right for folk to peer at


And the ferns by the pond and in the fernery are bringing beautiful colour and texture to delight the eye


I love the contrast between those plump as pillows paeony and the little cushions of the knautia - the bees do too


and our red rose near the house is just beginning to open up its petals, 


Self portrait with cat :-)

I hope our visitors on Saturday enjoy our garden as much as we do, and don't notice too many weeds!


6 comments:

  1. I'm sure the visitors will love it, although the vixen may have Words with you for disturbing the peace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vixen is very tolerant of our comings and goings - our neighbour's garden has an even wilder bit than "down in the dell" where the young foxes play.

      Delete
  2. How wonderful that you will be sharing your beautiful gardens. All the folks and critters who come will love it. Just like I do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary, I hope they do. And if they don't then they'll like other gardens on the trail - there are seven in this area all together

      Delete
  3. Oh Kat, I LOVE your "open" garden so very much
    (though I would love to come in person, but you know I won't :-) !)
    That rambler ahhhhhh . . . But I think I have a similar "wild" one that I got from a dear blogging-friend in Germany two years ago (a cutting which is now 1,5 meter high, and growing into my Malus (that blooms so lovely but is hardly worth seeing later on)
    Have fun and take care weeding !!! (I take out buckets of greens : leaves, old flowers, but you hardly ever see where it came from !)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Els, you'd be very welcome to visit my garden if you were in my bit of the UK. You'll just have to imagine it for now. And imagine me spending three hours with a pressure washer getting the courtyard and patio bright again after nearly ten year's walking about!! The transformation has been startling!!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments, it's always a pleasure to know people have found my little corner of the webiverse. Don't forget to "prove you're not a robot"; so I can see your comment :-)