Sunday 3 July 2022

Dixter delight

We are so lucky to live within easy driving distance of this lovely garden. This week we had a very pleasurable visit from some members of my dear heart's family, including the recipient of this quilt, who has now grown into the most delightful little person who kept us very busy on the afternoon she and her parents were with us. My darling girl came round as well, and definitely fell in love!

The following day, four of us drove through the winding Sussex countryside to visit Great Dixter. The weather was wonderfully bright and breezy, and despite a brief and very threatening looking selection of clouds, it stayed dry and warm and the garden was at its wild and wonderful best.

The planting there, in particular in the areas bordered by yew hedging, is both tall and dense, which means you wander through, perpetually surprised and inspired by a new and interesting combination of plants. The style could be called relaxed or chaotic depending on your taste. I find the sense of enclosure creates a wonderful aura of mystery and timelessness. You are in a jewel box of colour, scent, movement and sound with occasional glimpses of the red brick and tiles of the house itself. For a change of view you can find your way out to areas of meadow planting and the arresting topiary yews. It is a space I could cheerfully spend many hours in, just watching, listening and absorbing. 

I thought you might like to share some of the pleasures

















2 comments:

  1. What a feast for the eyes! Wow! I love those reds! What a joy those little ones can be. I know your sweet girl will always treasure that darling quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Dixter certainly looks work a visit - now on my list!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, it's always a pleasure to know people have found my little corner of the webiverse. Don't forget to "prove you're not a robot"; so I can see your comment :-)