Monday 26 August 2019

Cooking cloth

In complete contrast to the previous post,

a little pot of gnarly bits,



a little tub of things from the garden
















an old aluminium saucepan and some copper pipe, wrapped in cloth


Yes I'm having another try with eco printing/dyeing. There were so many lovely pieces at FOQ this year, and I wanted to experiment, to see what happens, which is always a fun way to learn.

The gnarly bits are Oak Gall -  a good source of tannin for dyeing or as a mordant; collected on one of my local "constitutionals". Two galls ground then simmered to extract the tannins. The leaves and flowers from my garden, collected on the day they were bundled, with the exception of a couple of eucalyptus leaves from Yorkshire. Fabric (ancient sheeting) soaked in the tannin mixture, bundled and then simmered rather than steaming. Now I will wait a few days to unwrap and see what happened.

3 comments:

  1. It's always interesting to experiment, isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, experiment, always good, occasionally completely devoid of results apart from a rather dull brown stain from the oak gall - no obvious mordanting action. I shall experiment further :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, it's always a pleasure to know people have found my little corner of the webiverse. Don't forget to "prove you're not a robot"; so I can see your comment :-)