Saturday 24 August 2019

Rivers flowing

Mesopotamia is flowing slowly along

Down the Euphrates, splitting and rejoining as the land allows


At the confluence of the Tigris and the Greater Zab, where Dur Sharrukin, Nineveh, Nimrud and Assur sit


the  Lesser Zab river, flowing in below Assur


and still further down, the Tigris and Euphrates joining and flowing past Isin, Uruk, Larsa, Ur and Eridu, magical names


All the land fed by water, cultivated by man,



And, from many years ago a different kind of river, flowing through a quiet Sussex wood, over the edge and into the past.



Forewood waterfall - found at the back of the shed, still stretched onto the drawing board. Acrylic paint must be tasty to someone



4 comments:

  1. I never thought of acrylic paint as appetising!

    I love the way your rivers flow, and cities sit beside them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel, thank you for positive comments, this piece has been going for a while now - stalling rather than flowing if I'm honest, but it's always in my head being thought about. Sometimes things need to move slowly I think.

      Delete
  2. I found back a watercolour from some time ago ... something had eaten part of it ...
    (but acrylics ... :-O ?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, perhaps it's the magical plastic eating bacteria which are going to save the planet!!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments, it's always a pleasure to know people have found my little corner of the webiverse. Don't forget to "prove you're not a robot"; so I can see your comment :-)