Tuesday 31 March 2020

The gender fluid cow

As our isolation and social distancing settles in we are keeping ourselves occupied in a variety of ways. I am taking great delight in returning to my Mum's diaries, transcribing them little by little each day and wishing she could know how much they are contributing to my touch typing skills. As I follow her adventures I occasionally come across mention of letters written to her beloved "Mummy". You can imagine my delight when I investigate one of the many old suitcases that I have kept,


and find each of those letters carefully tucked away. Little did her 14 year old self think that her daughter would be reading them all these years later.


Letter from Sept 1939

So, it is 1940, she is staying with her beloved Aunt Connie and her companion Harry out at Nirvana, by Iden lock during a break from school

Connie and Harry at the gate of Nirvana

Harry and Connie pedalling across the fields

Her life is full of very simple pleasures; taking their dog Benjy for walks, picking bluebells, going to collect the milk from the nearby farm, wrapping 5 dozen eggs in paper to take back to Hastings for storage in "waterglass", and feeding one of the local cows "8 or 9 basins full of lovely grass". Having spent the day doing this, much to the cow's delight, she then goes for an evening walk across the fields. The cow, obviously anticipating more spoiling, comes ambling up for more grass. In her letter home she describes the scene

"… he stalked across about half the field to meet me. I showed him that my hands were empty and she put down her head as tho' to eat grass and butted me (don’t laugh). I was scared stiff and dashed nearly the length of the field back to Nirvana. She followed but saw I was too fast for her. I think it was a dirty trick after my feeding her all day with sweat upon the brow."

You will notice, however, that the "cow" changes sex in the extract, in fact, she changes sex several times during the recounting of the tale. Obviously my grandmother, in a reply that I don't have, commented. In the following letter, a few days later, Mum elaborates, noting that

"The “sack” of the cow was feminine but I think it must have had a bit of bull in it to want to butt me."

Obviously in Mum's world feminine was good, udders were best not mentioned and masculine was likely to misbehave!

Here she is the following year aged 15 in her garden in Cheam, with her much loved cat Patsy - who despite the name was male!!

4 comments:

  1. She must have enjoyed writing those letters, to leave you so many to delight in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel, apologies for the delayed reply, Blogger misbehaviour! Yes, Mum was a great letter writer until the end of her life, and folk loved receiving her cheery missives, typed up on an old fashined tyewriter, I can still hear it in memory, rattling away late into the night. I think having a mother and Aunt who were both published novelists was an inspiration, but also she was just a marvellous communicator and loved people. She was also a dab hand at little poems on people's birthdays or just to cheer someone up. Lost treasures, but at least I have her diaries.

      Delete
  2. I can relate quite well to those spoiled cows as we have a large number of them here in the surrounding pastures. Day before yesterday when I went walking over the hill, a shower of rain caught up with Millie and me, and I had to raise the umbrella I was carrying. The cattle ordinarily pay me no mind, but, it seems, there's something threatening about an umbrella above my head. One new Momma came running, bellowing all the while, as she chased after us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh my goodness, I've never been chased by a cow! Mind, I used to know a farmworker who would go to the cows in the field, crouch down under his coat making little noises and wait for them to come up close when curiosity got the better of them. He'd then leap up and surprise them - causing a bovine scattering across the field!!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments, it's always a pleasure to know people have found my little corner of the webiverse. Don't forget to "prove you're not a robot"; so I can see your comment :-)