Saturday 14 November 2020

stitching cuneiform

Seems to lend itself to fly stitch. I find myself wanting to make the stitching as decorative as possible, along with representing the cuneiform; enjoying the patterns made by the cuneiform shapes. I allow myself to turn my fabric through 90 degrees, as the scribes might have turned their tablets, pressing stylus into clay.


I wonder about those Babylonian ladies, stitching mottos into their loved ones' garments: spells of protection, charms to ward off evil. Is this the stitch they might have used?

And because Rachel enjoyed my seaside, yesterday's walk gave me this



6 comments:

  1. Wow! Your seaside pictures are stunning! I love all things handstitched. Your work speaks ancient words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary, thank you for kind words, I just point the camera and nature does the rest. And yes, very ancient words, the white text is from an inscription about Sennacherib, so the 700's BCE

      Delete
  2. I'm really very taken with your stitched cuneiform - it fits beautifully! And thank you for the seaside pictures - I can feel myself breathing more easily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel, I'm glad both the cuneiform and the seaside have met with your approval :-) The fly stitch does seem to work doesn't it?

      Delete
  3. stitching the cuneiform looks wonderful, Kat !
    (aren't you intrigued what it all says ??)
    Oh my, love the sun over the sea ! (going under I presume ...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Els, yes, always intrigued by what these cuneiform texts say (some of them are very banal - "fifty pots of honey to the temple stores" type stuff). This one is a royal inscription, Sennacherib, king of the four corners of the earth watching the booty poured out before him (and prisoners being executed!!!).
      Yes, a sunset over Beachy Head on the wonderful south coast of Sussex.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments, it's always a pleasure to know people have found my little corner of the webiverse. Don't forget to "prove you're not a robot"; so I can see your comment :-)