Thursday 21 January 2021

some wild swooshy'ness

It has been very wild and windy the past couple of days. We are lucky enough to be in the south where the rain has been dramatic, but not damaging and as we live on the top of a hill we are unlikely to be flooded, though the pond has been rather full.

Because we are all constrained by the current restrictions I have been making the most of our lovely seafront for my hour's walks. I was wildly proud of myself earlier this month when I managed three miles of brisk walking. No great shakes for my fitter friends, but it made me very happy. Most days though it is about a mile, and I have been interested by how many other folk have been down there too - I suspect fitness devices across the country have recorded far more steps than usual over the past year as we all get our allocated daily exercise.

Today and yesterday have been enlivened by Storm Christoph. Yesterday was particularly blustery, and as I was trying to capture the whooshy sea foam swirling at the shoreline, what should come past but this fine machine, known at home as a wokka wokka. They fly up the coast from Odiham and have been seen much more frequently along the shoreline than in past times. A rather nice rumour suggests that "they" have changed the pattern of their training sorties to cheer us up in these difficult times. A lovely thought, and perhaps it is true.

Today was less grey, but no less windy. With a low tide there was no foaming froth flying up the the promenade, but there were folk out enjoying themselves in the waves - how marvelous to be fit, strong and confident enough to trust yourself to the water and fly across it, skipping the peaks of the waves with your rainbow sail high in the air.




I was rather glad these clouds were far out to sea, and gave me time to scurry home before they dropped their water on us.

Time for some quiet stitching I think.


6 comments:

  1. Ahhhhh we "enjoyed" some storm too here !
    Although we love the birds in our garden we're NOT too keen on the ducks (because they leave rather BIG floppy "presents" everywhere . . .) Man made a kind of barricade but part of that was blown into the water :-/ !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, duck presents conjures up a rather too vivid image!!! I hope with the river at the end of your garden you've been spared flooding there. That really would clean up the duck gifts ;-)

      Delete
  2. Yes, there's been flooding in places I've never seen flooding before. I'm just glad to be able to look out at sunshine today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A brief look at the local news suggests we've not been badly affected here in Sussex. The sunshine today has been lovely, but big storm clouds assembling in the west on my afternoon walk just now

      Delete
  3. Rainy days are quite wonderful for slow stitching, don't you think? I can't imagine being so brave to get out onto the rough sea for whatever the reason. The colorful sails did, however, add the perfect touch for some fantastic pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary, thank you for the compliment. the "fantastic'ness" was all in the environment, I simply tried to capture it. We do get a lot of wind surfers and kite surfers here, though not surfboard surfers, the waves are not quite exciting enough!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments, it's always a pleasure to know people have found my little corner of the webiverse. Don't forget to "prove you're not a robot"; so I can see your comment :-)