Friday 24 July 2020

transparents again

I am thinking around ideas of Mesopotamia, layers of time and habitation. 

These pieces of sheer, blogged about here might just begin to express this by using both layers of colour on the voile - here quite light in tone, and also layering the fabrics one over the other. 


So, having applied one layer of colour to the sheer poly voile, walnut ink and Quink on one, acrylic ink on the other, they have now been weighed down in trays with rusty bits

and wetted with either white vinegar and a splash of acrylic ink on the hummocks

Or walknut ink and tea, with trickles of Quink.


The same colorants as the first layer, with added rust textures hopefully, where the random bits of iron will oxidise with the tea/vinegar. 

I wonder what will happen. They are "cooking" overnight under a sheet of damp newsprint.









2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of "cooking" your fabrics in this sense, and I'm really very intrigued by your Mesopotamia project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachel, the "cooking" is still going on! I checked after 24 hours and there was no discernible marking on the "tea" version, but the vinegar one is getting there!
    My Mesopotamia project is, like your Amarna one, a long term thing. I keep having snippets of ideas, but nothing concrete. I hoping to get some interesting results with these experiments with sheer fabrics that might work to layer up, but it is all rather vaguer than I'd like - probably too much thinking and not trying stuff out!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, it's always a pleasure to know people have found my little corner of the webiverse. Don't forget to "prove you're not a robot"; so I can see your comment :-)