Monday 13 July 2020

Transparents

We have been working with Christine on the next online Studio 11 workshop, this time looking at transparent fabrics and how to get colour onto them. Christine has uploaded several tutorials and we all meet via Zoom once a week for updates and discussions. In the absence of a real one, I am improvising a "design wall" by pinning bits together and suspending them from a picture in the sitting room, hence the ghostly radiator! Tis way I can get some idea of how the colours are, or are not visible from a distance.

The first section here are all coloured using transfer inks, which have a gloopy consistency. Once painted onto a paper support of some sort they can then be ironed onto synthetic fibres, here sheer polyester voile. These were my first attempts, just playing with the colours to see how they came out. Some of them will get another layer, investigating how the colours mix when layered onto the fabric. Some of the patterns were painted directly onto the paper, some are monoprints. I have painted a few more papers since, which are awaiting my next slow ironing session. You do have to move the hot iron very very veery slowly. Appropriate music helps -  ranging from Faure's Requiem to Leonard Cohen. I have eclectic tastes


Then I played with walnut ink and Quink, and acrylic inks, scrumpling the fabric into a plastic pot of appropriate size and allowing the thing to "mulch" for a bit before taking it out and allowing to dry. The textures are really interesting, even more so when the fabric is layered over itself. At the bottom I have layered a piece from each technique, hence the colour ghosting behind the dark fabric. The acrylic ink gives a slight stiffness to the voile, but that might be because I've not washed the fabric yet - a vigorous rinse in cold water to get the excess pigment out. I have given it a hot press to set/cure the inks. 


More walnut ink experiments, this time smoothed over a piece of plastic wetted with ink. The fabric was then pushed about so it bubbled up in places, the colour pools around the ripples in the fabric. I really like this, but it is very subtle, I need to experiment more.


And the same technique with acrylic inks, which cure and will stay on the fabric, unlike the walnut ink which is likely to wash out. They looked incredibly vibrant when still wet and on the plastic, more subdued once dry but I think I like that better


The more neutral colours have potential for my Mesopotamia theme and I have been working towards appropriate textures in my experiments. They might provide an interesting base for some paper lamination, which is the next technique to work with. 

I have such admiration for Christine for keeping Studio 11 going despite the difficulties of the past year, not just Covid, but her loss of her previous Studio and consequent stress and upheval. Our little creative community is still thriving under her generous tutelage, and lockdown has become the catalyst for her developing a series of online courses which can now be found on her website. 

We are very lucky.

6 comments:

  1. You've been making good use of your time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel, I have indeed, I find I really enjoy the experimentation side of working with new materials and techniques.

      Delete
  2. Ahhhhh Kat, you have a lot of sheers to play with now ....
    Is that the next step with Christine ???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Els, I do indeed, and am pondering what I shall do with them. We also have a video from Christine on paper lamination, which I have done with her before at the studio, so may look at using some of the bits above with that - just to see what happens :-)

      Delete
  3. This is really fascinating! I love to see your experiments like this. Hope you are keeping well. Anny x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anny, I am really enjoying using new materials, both the poly voiles and the transfer inks. Much more to learn but that is what life is for.
      Yes, I am keeping very well and rather enjoying this isolation if truth be told. I hope you are too, and that DD is fully recovered from whatever was making him poorly recently. Must catch up with your most recent post, your new stitching looks delightful as ever and it looks as though you have been having some fun days out xx

      Delete

Thank you for your comments, it's always a pleasure to know people have found my little corner of the webiverse. Don't forget to "prove you're not a robot"; so I can see your comment :-)